Looking for ways to make extra money? Of course you are! Everybody loves stashing extra cash in their pocket.
Budgeting, saving money, and living below your means may be the fundamentals of good money management, but making extra money never hurts! #amiright?
Knowing how to make extra money won’t cure all your financial blues, but it can provide a huge boost to your financial goals. Paying off debt, saving more for retirement, and gaining a sense of control over your life can all be yours – and making extra money can help. More money means more options, and that’s always a good thing!
There are literally hundreds of ways to make extra money, and we’ve listed over 99 of them below. The majority of these gigs don’t even require any special training! So, whether you dream of starting your own business or just want to make some fast cash to pay the bills, we’ve got you covered. Spend a few minutes a day or commit to several hours a week. The choice is yours.
Without further ado, here’s our list of 99 ways to make extra money.
How to Make Extra Money from Home
Forget “get rich quick” and “work from home” schemes. This stuff takes some work, but with some drive and effort, you can make some serious cash. Here’s how to make extra money from home with gigs that pay you real money.
1) Start a Blog – One of the best ways to make extra money is by starting a blog. Seriously, blogging has completely changed our lives. Our blog helped us make enough money to quit our jobs and gave us the freedom to travel the world. Use our simple step-by-step guide to create your own blog here.
2) Freelance Writing – I truly believe that freelance writing is the best way to earn extra money from home. Ever since we started our online business, freelance writing has been our core means of earning money. Learn our secrets to earning over $200,000 writing here!
3) Freelance Editing – Every website needs an editor, and you can make money doing it. Some corporations will pay you big bucks to make sure their content looks great and reads well. But don’t limit yourself to just websites. You can get paid to edit for books, magazines, and other media too.
4) Web Design – The internet is big business, and it’s not just bloggers who need a website. Companies need websites too, and they’ll pay you to help. Take free classes or teach yourself how to design websites. Then, start selling your services to those you know.
5) Start a YouTube Channel – If video is more your style, try creating a YouTube channel. Like blogs, YouTube’s popularity has skyrocketed over the past few years…and some people are making tons of extra money doing it. You can make money on advertisements, paid appearances, and using your forum as a brand ambassador.
Get Paid for Your Opinions
Did you know that market research companies will pay you for your opinions? You won’t get rich, but here are some super simple ways to make extra money while watching TV!
6) Answer Surveys – Yep. You read that right. You can actually get paid to take surveys and give your opinions. Here are a few places to try:
- InboxDollars – Earn straight cash for answering surveys at InboxDollars. This site has multiple surveys that you can take on a daily basis, plus others that can be found at random. Joining is fast, and its totally free.
- Pinecone GenPop – This site pays $3 per survey for you to evaluate products before they make it to the shelf. Again, joining is free and takes less than a minute to sign up.
- American Consumer Opinion – Earn money and get free products to test with American Consumer Opinion. Again, it’s free to sign up, but only one member of your household will be accepted.
- Opinion Outpost – You can earn cash and rewards at Opinion Outpost. Just complete online surveys about new products and services and start earning right away. It takes about 30 seconds to join, and it’s completely free.
7) Surf the Internet – If you like to surf the internet, you may as well get paid to do it. Here are 4 ways to earn extra money while you cruise the web:
- MobileXpressions – This app for your Android allows you to earn cash, gift cards, and merchandise while you surf the internet from your smartphone. Not a bad way to make a few bucks, right?
- Swagbucks – Visit your favorite websites and earn gift cards to some of the world’s biggest retailers like Amazon, Walmart, Target, and more. It’s free and easy to join.
- Digital Voice – You’ve probably heard of Nielson before, and they’re the people behind Digital Voice. Simply sign up for free, download the app, and earn rewards for surfing the internet.
- Bing Rewards – Join Bing Rewards, use Bing as your search engine, and start earning rewards while you search and surf.
Collect Bonuses, Cash Back, and Rewards
Banks, credit cards, stock brokers are competing for your business, and you can make extra money just for signing up. But that’s not all. You can earn rewards for simple the simple things you do every day too!
8) Credit Card Signup Bonuses – Collecting travel rewards credit cards is a great way to start making extra money. Here are a few of our favorite signup bonus offers:
- Chase Freedom® Unlimited Card – Get a $150 signup bonus after spending just $500 in the first 3 months. That’s practically free money right there!
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card – Earn 50,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 in the first 3 months after signing up. That’s equal to $500 in gift cards or $625 in travel through the Chase portal.
- Discover it Cashback Match® – Earn 5% cash back on rotating categories each quarter and 1% cash back on everything else. Discover will even double your cash back at the end of your first year! Learn More Here.
9) Start a Money Market Account – Make more money in interest when you use a money market account. At BBVA Compass Bank, you can earn up to 0.65% APY on accounts that meet certain balance requirements. Open your money market with as little as $25 here!
10) Use Ebates for Shopping – Shopping and coupon portals are easy ways to save money while you shop. Our favorite site to use is Ebates. Along with coupon codes and discounts, they also offer generous cash back on most purchases. You can read our review of Ebates here.
11) Invest Your Money – Most experts agree that investing is a great way to make money over the long-term. Some investments may even pay dividends, but of course there are no guarantees. Brokerage firms are also eager to land you as a customer and may offer free trades or cash for signing up.
How to Make Extra Money with a Side Business
Want to know how to make extra money but still create sustainable income? Starting a legitimate side business takes time, but it could develop into a steady stream of income if you stick with it. Again, most of these jobs don’t require any special licensing, but check your local rules to be sure.
12) Start a Painting Company – Practically nobody likes to paint, but it’s a skill that almost anybody can learn. The cool thing is that people will pay you a lot of money to paint their house. In our area, you could easily make a thousand dollars a week (or more) if you really went for it. If the making money online thing doesn’t work out, you can bet your bosom I’m starting a painting company.
13) Drive for Uber – Because of new technologies, making extra money has never been easier. You can even make money for driving people around in your own car. Start getting paid to drive others around town and become an Uber driver here.
14) Do Landscaping – Let’s face it: People hate yard work. They hate mowing. They hate trimming bushes. They hate leaves. Anyone who has enough money to pay someone to do these things frequently does. Start your own landscaping company and begin cashing in today!
15) Shovel Snow – What’s the only thing people hate more than leaves? You guessed it! Snow. Turn your summer landscaping business into a snow removal service. Grab a shovel, knock on some doors, and pick up some jobs. Heck, go out and get a cheap snow blower if it helps. Better yet, put a plow on the front of your truck and push snow off of parking lots. Businesses pay thousands a year to keep their lots plowed, salted, and safe for their customers.
16) Edit Film and Video – People love to communicate through film and video. Whether it’s slide shows for graduations and weddings, or professionally made videos advertising a business, people will pay you to make their videos. All it takes is a camera, an editing program, and an eye for detail and you could be making extra income in no time.
17) Photography – Speaking of cameras, starting your own photography business is one of the best ways to make extra money. Even amateur photographers can make good money taking family photos, graduation pictures, and business headshots. Just get yourself a nice digital camera, take a photography course, and start shooting for cash!
18) Clean Houses – Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that rich people hate cleaning their house too. For years, Holly made a nice living cleaning houses. All she did was print flyers, knock on some doors, and ask for referrals from customers. She never had any shortage of work, and neither will you.
19) Clean Businesses – Homeowners aren’t the only people who pay for cleaning. Businesses need their workspace cleaned too. Create some business cards or flyers, and pick up a few corporate cleaning gigs to line your pockets.
20) Industrial Floors and Windows – In addition to the regular dusting and mopping, some offices need a little bit of extra help. You can make some serious cash by starting your own industrial floor and window cleaning business. Again, the more you hustle, the more money you’ll make.
21) Cut Hair – Do you know how to cut hair? Start your own beauty salon! You can make extra money by charging your friends for haircuts. If you’re a trained beautician, you can charge even more.
22) Do Nails – While you’re at it, do your friends’ nails too.
23) Become a Tour Guide – Don’t know how to make extra money but love to educate others? Become a local tour guide. Show others around your city for a fee, and make a few dollars along the way. Be sure to research and comply with any local laws before opening up shop.
24) Become a Virtual Assistant – Businesses are always looking to outsource tasks, and they’ll pay you for help. Virtual assistants work online, and can be hired on a per-project or ongoing basis. Websites like Upwork.com can help connect you with potential employers.
25) Become a Personal Assistant – Just like businesses, people will pay you to help organize their life. As a personal assistant, you may work virtually or in person. Tasks could include answering emails, booking appointments, shopping for groceries, doing laundry, and more.
26) Start a Handyman Business – If you have home repair skills, a handyman business may be a great way to make extra money. Where I live, demand for handyman services is so high that most handymen I’ve talked to make about $40 an hour. That’s good money if you can hack it.
27) Be a Masseuse – Want to make extra money on the side? Consider getting trained and starting a massage therapy business. You can run it part-time out of your own home and make some serious pocket change.
28) Buy Rental Property – In my opinion, one of the best ways to make extra money is by investing in real estate. We’ve owned rental properties for years, and it has really added to our net worth. Not only are we making money every month, the value of the property is increasing over time. It’s a great addition to diversify our total portfolio.
29) Provide Real Estate Management – Many rental property owners live out-of-town or prefer not to deal with their renters. So what do they do? They hire a real estate manager. By screening tenants and dealing with problems, you can earn a percentage of the monthly rent. It’s definitely something you can do part-time, or grow it into a full-time gig if you want.
30) Rent a Room – Got an extra room to spare? Take on a roommate to save money, or rent it out for some extra cash.
31) Rent Your Vacation Property – If you’re lucky enough to own a vacation property, you may already know that you can rent it out when you’re not there. If you haven’t done so already, check out websites like VRBO to list your property and start making money today.
32) Event Planning – Do you love entertaining and have a keen eye for details? Starting an event planning business may be a great way to generate some side income. As an event planner, you can help plan everything from weddings to company parties. Get your name out there and start networking right away.
33) Interior Design – If you love furniture, wall art, and paint colors, doing interior design work in your spare time is an excellent way to make extra money. There are plenty of people willing to pay for your talent, provided they’re happy with your work.
34) Start a Vending Machine Route – Ever see vending machines in office buildings and retail stores? Somebody has to fill them. You could get paid to do it by picking up your own routes.
35) Rent Equipment – Do you have sporting equipment or power tools sitting in your garage? Throw up an ad on Craigslist and see if you can make some quick cash renting it out.
36) Party Rentals – Ever wonder who owns those bounce houses you see at kids’ birthday parties? Well, that could be you…and you could make money doing it. Just buy the equipment, start advertising, and rent it out for all type of events. You can even add things like tables, snowcone machines, and cotton candy makers to drive up revenue.
37) Promote Fitness Products – If you’ve used any fitness products, you can earn extra money by promoting them to your friends. We’ve used Beachbody’s Focus T25 and have seen great results. (See how that works!) Use the products, get results, and earn commissions on referrals. Simple as that.
38) Graphic Design – I can’t tell you how many times I’ve needed to somebody to make a nice looking graphic for me. If you’re good with computers, starting a small graphic design business could net you some nice side money.
39) Find a Need and Fill It – Seriously, you can start a side business for almost anything. Just find a need and fill it. I know somebody who makes a six-figure income by cleaning industrial screens and filters. Seriously, who the heck thinks of that?!? The person hauling in six figs, that’s who. So find a need, fill it, and make some money!
Make Extra Money Providing Services
Even if you don’t want to start a full-fledged business, there are tons of ways to make extra money. Try provide some of these simple services instead. Again, while most of these don’t require any special licensing, be sure to comply with any federal, state or local compliance regulations.
40) Consulting – Do you have specialized knowledge that people would pay you for? Instead of helping everybody for free, provide consulting services on the side. It doesn’t have to take much time, and you can make some extra money doing it.
41) Tutor – Help students learn by providing tutoring services. This works especially well for those with a degree in a particular subject like math or English. You’ll help students succeed while earning extra money on the side.
42) Create a Course – If you possess special knowledge or are an expert in a particular area, create an online course and sell it. The online course business is booming right now, and you can make some serious money if you hit the right niche.
43) Manage Social Media – Do you have a huge social media following? Could you help others do the same? Businesses and bloggers will pay you to improve their social media presence. Build your following, reach out to others, and get paid to help them do the same.
44) Sell Gigs on Fiverr – Fiverr is a great resource for selling specific services to a large audience. I’ve used Fiverr for .PDF creations, graphic designs, and more. Really, you can offer almost any sort of service there. Basic gigs start at $5, but you can offer add-ons to sweeten the pot.
45) Become a Coach – If you’ve been successful in a certain area, others almost always want to know your secret. Coach them how to do it and charge them for your knowledge.
46) Prepare Taxes – Doing taxes sucks, and people will pay you to avoid doing their own. Offer tax preparation services and cash in on this universal pain point. Be sure to check IRS and local regulations before opening shop!
47) Mystery Shopping – Still don’t know how to earn extra money? Try mystery shopping. Yeppers, you can get paid to accept secret shopping assignments. There are several different companies you can work for. Just choose one and start earning.
48) Become a Translator – If you’re fluent in more than one language, earn extra money by becoming a translator. Companies, websites, and more are always looking for translators. You may even be able to make money online or from your own home.
49) House-Sit – Seriously, what’s better than getting paid to watch somebody else’s house? Talk about passive income!
50) Babysit or Nanny – Babysitting is a great way to make extra money, and it’s something that almost anybody can do. Professional nannies can make even more, especially if you have good references and some experience.
51) Petsit – Don’t want to watch kids? Watch pets instead. Websites like Rover.com can hook you up with pet owners needing assistance. Do it from home, charge what you want, and make a little extra for hanging with the creatures you love.
52) Walk Dogs – In the same vein, pet parents are happy to pay you to walk their dogs. Do it as a one-time service, or gather several clients and make it a nice side hustle.
53) Pet Grooming – Keeping with the pet theme, you can make extra money grooming our furry friends as well.
54) Wash and Detail Cars – After you’re done giving the dogs a bath, go ahead and start washing cars. Shine up the outside and detail the inside for a premium. Rich people hate doing this too, so there is money to be made.
55) Run Errands – Join a website like TaskRabbit, and get paid to run errands for other people. Hit the grocery store, grab their mail, or deliver a chair they bought from Office Depot. You can make money doing almost anything other people don’t want to do themselves.
56) Basic Elderly Care – We used to help several of our elderly neighbors and friends…for free. We’d do their grocery shopping, run their errands, grab their medications, and make sure they were OK. They would have gladly paid us, but we declined. However, there is a market for help, and you could fill the void.
57) Personal Cuddler – Yes. This exists.
58) Repair Computers or Cell Phones – Have some technical knowledge about computers or cell phones? Make extra money repairing them for family, friends, and neighbors.
59) Car Maintenance and Repair – Know a lot about cars? Make extra money changing tires, oil, brake pads, and more.
60) Put an Ad on Your Car – Speaking of cars, you can actually get paid to drive your own car around town. Companies like Carvertise will pay you real money to stick advertisements on your car. Just sign up, put on the ad, and rake in the cash.
61) Help People Move – Moving sucks, y’all. Plus, it usually takes more than one strong back to make a move successful. People are always looking for help. Offer your services and pad your wallet.
62) Remove Junk – Moving might suck, but cleaning out your junk sucks even worse. Plus, where do you even bring half of that crap? You can make extra money by hauling away somebody else’s junk. Resell some of it to make even more.
Make Extra Money Selling Your Stuff
Of all the ways to make extra money, selling your stuff is one of the easiest and fastest ways to earn. Here are a few ideas to help you make money from the stuff you already have.
63) Have a Garage Sale – Selling your stuff in a garage sale is an easy way to make money fast. Gather together all of the stuff you don’t want, set up a few tables, and you’ve got yourself a money-making sale!
64) Create an Etsy Store – Have an artistic side but don’t know how to make extra money using it? Try selling your stuff on Etsy. There you’ll find things like handmade crafts, jewelry, and various other home goods. Thousands of people have made a killing by starting an Etsy store, and you can too.
65) Sell on eBay – eBay is another great place to sell your stuff. Find old clothes, artwork, or gym equipment and put it up for sale. You can even find great deals at garage sales with the intent of reselling them for a profit. Then, let people buy it outright or auction it off to the highest bidder.
66) Sell on Craigslist – Don’t have enough stuff for a garage sale? Try selling it on Craigslist instead. We’ve bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of stuff on this free site. Plus, you’re usually selling to people in your own area, so you get your cash fast.
67) Sell Old Clothes to Secondhand Stores – One of the best ways to make money off of old clothes is to sell them to secondhand stores. There are several national brands, like Plato’s Closet, but chances are good you have a local store in your area. Women’s clothing typically goes over best, but sometimes you can sell men’s stuff too. We prefer stores that pay in advance rather than on consignment.
68) Sell Old Furniture on Consignment – Sell your gently used furniture on consignment at a consignment store. You won’t get paid until it sells, but it’s an easy way to make a few bucks. Of course, you can also stick items like these on eBay or Craigslist if you don’t want to wait.
68) Sell Your Plasma – If you aren’t afraid of needles, selling your plasma is one way to make quick money. When we were saving for our wedding, Holly and I almost did this. We changed our mind at the last minute, but that doesn’t mean it’s not for you. I know plenty of people who sold plasma during college for a few extra dollars.
69) Do Clinical Trials – Get paid to be a guinea pig for clinical drug trials. Personally, I wouldn’t do it, but the option is there. Plus, you can make good money doing it.
70) Collect and Sell Scrap Metal – Have you ever seen those guys driving around with a giant pile of metal in the back of their truck? Most of them are collecting and selling scrap metal. Search for free stuff at garage sales, on curbs, and on Craigslist. Pick it up, haul it away, and resell it for a profit.
71) Write a Book – These days, you don’t need a publishing company to publish a book. You self-publish through Amazon, then sell it for a profit. They offer three options: Createspace (for print books), Kindle Direct Publishing (for Kindle books), and ACX (for audiobooks). Learn more about Amazon Self-Publishing here.
72) Sell Coins – There are still plenty of coin collectors around, and you can make money if you know what you’re doing. I used to work with a guy who bought and sold rare coins on the side, and he made a nice profit.
73) Sell Legos – If you want to know how to make extra money, find a way to sell items that remind people of their childhood. For instance, my brother-in-law found a nice niche market selling Legos. He acquires complete sets at garage sales or online, packages them, and sells them to Lego lovers of all stripes. People will pay good money for nostalgia, and you can be the one to profit.
Ways to Make Extra Money at Your Job
When searching for ways to make extra money, don’t forget to consider the job you already have. Here are a few tips.
74) Ask for a Raise – Want to make more money at your job? Simple. Ask for a raise. Be confident, and present your boss with reasons why you deserve it. Then ask.
75) Work Overtime – If you have the opportunity to work overtime, do it. You’ll make time-and-a-half which can really ad up over the course of a year.
76) Work Holidays – Nobody wants to work holidays, so this is a great opportunity to make extra money. Again, you’ll make time-and-a-half, which is pretty sweet.
77) Do Things Others Won’t – Every job has things people hate doing. Learn what those things are, get good at them, and offer to handle them for more money.
78) Hit Your Bonuses – Lots of jobs, particularly sales jobs, offer incentives for meeting goals. Make sure to work your butt off and cash in on those bonuses.
79) Learn a New Skill – One of the best ways to make more money at your job is to acquire new skills. Look for new things you can learn to improve your value to the company. Acquire those skills, then ask for more money. If your boss refuses, you’ll be more marketable and may be able to command more money elsewhere.
80) Take on More Responsibilities – In many jobs, the more responsibility you have, the more money you’ll make. Offer to lead projects, manage schedules, and take things off your bosses plate. Then, when it’s time for your review, show them all the new responsibilities you’ve taken on….and ask for a raise.
81) Make yourself Indispensible – Bosses love it when you make their job easier. They also love it when you help them make more money. Find ways to make yourself indispensable, and more money will usually follow.
Ideas for Part-Time Jobs
If you’d rather not work for yourself, you can always pick up a part-time job. Here are a few suggestions for finding part-time work.
82) Wait Tables – Working as a server is a perfect part-time job. Schedules are generally flexible, plus you can work nights and weekends. If you’re good at it, you’ll find yourself rolling in tips.
83) Bartender – The same goes for bartending. If you’re good with people, enjoy crowds, and don’t mind working nights and weekends, being a bartender is a great part-time gig.
84) Valet – Working part-time as a valet is another job where you’ll earn extra money through tips. Many restaurants, hotels, and other business hire valets on a part-time basis.
85) Deliver Food – Another way to make money part-time is delivering food. I’ve worked as a delivery driver before, and made my base rate, tips, and a delivery fee. You can deliver pizza, Chinese food, sandwiches, and just about any other type of food available.
86) Deliver Newspapers – If you’re a morning person, getting an early morning paper route can be a lucrative venture. Newspapers are hiring all the time, so check with your local paper for openings.
87) Unload Trucks – Another early morning/late night gig is unloading shipments at various retail outlets. All types of stores need help getting things off the truck, but big box stores and couriers are a great place to start looking.
88) Work Retail – One of the best ways to make money part-time is working at a retail store. These stores always seem to be hiring for night and weekend shifts. Just be sure not to blow all of your extra cash using your in-store discount!
89) Stock Shelves – Stocking shelves may seem boring, but it’s one way to line your pockets with extra money. Grocery stores and bookstores are great places to start looking for work.
90) Do Temp Work – Office buildings are always hiring cheap labor for mundane tasks. I worked as a full-time temp for two years, but you can find part-time work as well. Check with your local temp agency for openings.
91) Work on a Farm – If you don’t mind hard work and getting a little dirty, working on a farm is an excellent way to make extra money. There are all types of farms, and each place may need you to perform different tasks. Back in the day, you could find me working part-time at a pheasant farm or bailing straw up the road.
92) Become a Lifeguard – Does sitting by a pool and making extra money sound fun? Then becoming a lifeguard may be right for you. Get the proper training, and you could start making a nice side income right away.
93) Work at a School – Schools are always looking for part-time assistants and aides. Check with your local school for openings.
94) Be a Sub – Substitute teaching is a perfect opportunity to make a few extra bucks. In some states, you don’t even have to be licensed as a teacher. Just apply for a permit and look for jobs in your area.
95) Drive a School Bus – Driving a school bus is practically the definition of part-time work. Get paid to drive your bus in the morning, work your regular day job, then drive again in the afternoon. If you want to make even more, sign up to drive to events like athletic competitions and field trips.
96) Coach Sports – If you enjoy sports and like being around kids, you can get paid to be a coach. Of course, you must be available for practices and competitions. Check with your local schools and club teams for openings.
97) Officiate Sports – Don’t have the time to coach but still want to make extra money through sports? Become an official. Sports officials are needed at all levels of competition, and you’ll get paid to be a part of the action.
98) Work at a Hotel – Hotels hire a lot of people, and they’re a great place to look for extra work. From front-desk help to cleaning, hotels offer a bunch of ways to make extra money part-time.
99) Provide Entertainment – Can you sing or dance? Do you have an interest in entertaining others? Find part-time work with various entertainment companies in your area. I’ve been paid to act, sing, and make appearances as different characters at local events. I also used to work as a traveling wedding DJ for a local radio station. It was a lot of fun, and I made money doing it.
Seriously guys, these are just some of the ways to make extra money. There are probably hundreds more that we didn’t list here. So, don’t just stand there. Grab something off the list, and start earning extra money today!
What are your favorite ways to make extra money? Did we leave any out? Let us know below!