Let’s face it: Travel is expensive… but it doesn’t have to be with the right tools.
We’ve traveled the globe for pennies on the dollar, and we want to help you do the same! By using the best travel tools to our advantage, we’ve spent thousands less than most travelers. I’m talking about visiting places like Italy, France, England, St. Maarten, Jamaica, and more. Listed below are a few of our current favorites. Enjoy!
Table of Contents
Tripping.com is my new favorite way to find vacation rentals! It’s also the world’s largest rental search engine site. By pulling listings from Booking.com, VRBO, HomeAway, and several others, Tripping.com has access to over 10 million listings… all in one convenient place. Just key in your destination and start shopping for your perfect vacation rental. Get started here!
#2) Credit Card Rewards
Credit card rewards are by far the easiest way to save money on travel. In fact, they’re the #1 way we save thousands every year! Of course, you can’t just sign up for any old card. Finding a card with a huge signup bonus is a great way to get tons of points quickly, helping you earn “free” travel in a matter of months. To get started, check out our list of the best travel rewards cards here!
#3) Sightseeing Passes
If you’re planning a trip to a major U.S. or European city, a sightseeing pass may be a good option. Generally speaking, these passes are a great way to save time and money. They usually include admission to the majority of the city’s top historical sites and attractions, plus they allow “skip the line” access to the most popular spots. Some passes even include use of the city’s public transportation. We have a huge list of city passes available, but here are a few of the most popular:
- The New York Pass – With access to over 90 of New York’s top attractions and a pile of savings to boot, the New York Pass is easily one of the best sightseeing cards available. Follow the link for our full review.
- The London Pass – I can’t recommend the London Pass enough! We used it during our trip to London and loved the time and money it saved us. Use the link to read our complete review.
- The Paris Pass – The Paris Pass provides entry to many of the city’s top museums and attractions. It’s a good value for some, but it’s definitely not right for everybody. Follow the link to learn if it’s a good fit for your travel plans.
- The Rome and Vatican Pass – This sightseeing card is a great way to visit the best sites in Rome and Vatican City. You should definitely consider it, if only for the “fast-track entry” feature! Read our full review by following the link.
Are guided tours more your speed? GetYourGuide is a great place to find them. With access to over 30,000 tours and activities worldwide, this site is quickly becoming one of my favorite ways to book tours. Of course, there are more than just guided tours available. You can also find “skip the line” tickets and other activities through the portal, making the site a good option when a sightseeing pass doesn’t fit your travel plans. Start searching for your next tour here!
#5) Groupon Getaways
Groupon is always a good way to save on local products and services, but did you know they have a travel section too? It’s true! Choose from thousands of the top-rated destinations and activities, and save money doing it. Groupon Getaways even offers complete vacation packages with the flights included! Now that’s convenient! Search for your perfect Groupon Getaway here.
Other Handy Tools
Want more tools to help you travel in style and save money? We’ve got your back! While these tools aren’t specific to travel, they can definitely help you keep an eye on your travel budget!
- Debitize – This free app is an awesome way to take advantage of credit card rewards while avoiding debt. The app essentially turns your credit card into a debit card so you aren’t spending money you don’t have. Debitize also pays your bill automatically, so you’re never late. I love it and think you will too. Use our link and get a $10 credit toward your next credit card bill!
- Tiller – Need more money for your travel account? Try Tiller. This budgeting app helps you create a monthly budget AND automatically track your spending all in one place. It’s simple to use and will help you “find” money you didn’t even know you had! At only $5 a month, it’s well worth it. Use this link and try Tiller FREE for a month!
- Online Travel Fund – When you keep all your money in one account, it tends to get muddled up. That’s why it’s best to have a separate account to store your travel funds. High yield online savings accounts work great for this, giving you easy access to your money while separating it from your general funds. Plus, it’s fun to watch this puppy grow as you save.
These are just some of the tools we use to save thousands of dollars on travel each year. I hope you’ve enjoyed the list and that you’ll get thousands of dollars in savings out of these tips. As always, fire away with questions in the comments section below. Until next time, happy traveling!