Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card Review: Earn Miles and Enjoy Solid Perks
This article may contain references to some of our advertising partners. Should you click on these links, we may be compensated. For more about our advertising policies, read our full disclosure statement here.
Travelers who fly on Delta can earn valuable miles while saving money with the card_name. You’ll earn 2x miles per dollar on Delta purchases, as well as at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets.
Plus, there’s a 70,000-mile welcome offer available! Just use the card to make $2,000 in purchases during the first six months and you’re good to go.
Aside from earning Delta SkyMiles, this credit card also saves money on your trips. You’ll receive the first checked bag free for you and up to eight passengers on the same itinerary. Delta currently charges $30 for your first checked bag each way, which can add up to a lot of money when you’re traveling with friends or family.
Delta SkyMiles Gold Card Highlights
- Welcome Bonus: 70,000 miles for making $2,000 in purchases on the card in the first 6 months
- Earn Points on Spending: Receive 2x miles per dollar on purchases with Delta. You’ll now earn 2x miles per dollar at restaurants and U.S. supermarkets. Plus, earn one mile per dollar on all other purchases.
- 15% Off Award Travel: Get 15% off Award Travel with Delta when you book with miles (not applicable to partner flights or on taxes and fees)
- Free Checked Bags: The first checked bag is free for you and eight additional passengers on the same itinerary. This saves up to $60 per person on round trip flights.
- $100 Delta Flight Credit: Each calendar year that you make $10,000 in purchases, you’ll receive a $100 Delta flight credit towards a future flight.
- Travel Benefits and Protections: You’ll receive Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights and rental car collision damage waiver protection against theft or damage1. On top of that, the card has no foreign transaction fees.
- Annual Fee: Annual fee of $99, which is waived the first year. (card_name)
- Terms apply.
- Learn how to apply
Where It Shines
The Delta SkyMiles Gold Card is the perfect credit card for travelers flying on Delta Air Lines. You’ll earn up to 2x miles per dollar on Delta purchases and receive the first checked bag for free. Spending at restaurants around the world, and purchases at U.S. supermarkets now earns 2x miles per dollar, as well. Plus, you can now get up to 15% off when you use miles for Award Travel with Delta (does not apply to flights with partners or to taxes and fees).
The cardholder and up to eight additional passengers on the same itinerary receive the first checked bag for free. Normally, the fee for your first checked bags are $30 per person each way, so this is a potential savings of up to $540 per round trip flight. If you travel with your partner or family, these savings add up quickly.
If you get hungry or thirsty during your Delta flight, use your Delta Gold Card to receive a 20% statement credit for eligible in-flight purchases.
When you spend $10,000 in a calendar year, you’ll receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to use on a future flight. This benefit alone pays for the credit card’s annual fee. Terms apply.
Getting the Most from Your Delta Gold Amex
There are several ways to maximize the benefits of the Delta Gold Card.
First off, pay for flights or other items from Delta with this card. Also use it for groceries and when you’re eating out.
Make sure that you spend at least $2,000 on the credit card within the first six months to earn the 70,000 bonus miles. Search the Delta SkyMiles Flight Deals page for incredible award redemptions and sign up for the Delta newsletter to be among the first to learn about sales, last-minute deals, and more.
By booking your Delta flights with the Delta Gold Amex card, you’ll receive the first checked bag for you and your travel companions. And, when you’re ready for a snack or drink during the flight, use your card to save 20% off your purchases.
What You Might Not Like
- Annual Fee: The annual fee is $99 per year. It is waived the first year.
- Limited Earning Potential: You’ll earn a maximum of two miles per dollar spent. Some travel credit cards earn up to 5x points per dollar when booking plane tickets. This means that you might be better off booking your Delta flights on another credit card.
- Inflexible Rewards: If you fly with Delta or its partners, the rewards are useful. But you cannot redeem Delta SkyMiles on non-partner airlines, so the card isn’t as good for travelers who prefer the flexibility of flying with different airlines.
- No Published Award Chart: Delta eliminated its published award chart several years ago. While you may find some epic deals on flights, you don’t know how many miles are required to book a ticket.
Alternatives to the Delta Gold Credit Card
The Delta SkyMiles Gold Credit Card has a lot to offer people who prefer flying Delta Air Lines. However, if you want the flexibility to choose your airline or transfer rewards to an airline or hotel partner, this card doesn’t deliver.
Flexible redemption options are one of the key benefits of the card_name. You can redeem Chase Ultimate Rewards in multiple ways: booking flights, hotels, rental cars, cruises, and attractions at 1.25 cents per point; transferring to hotel and airline partners at a 1:1 ratio; or redeeming rewards for gift cards at 1 cent per point. Additionally, points can be combined with other cards that earn Ultimate Rewards points for even larger redemptions.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred earns 5x points per dollar on travel you purchase through their Ultimate Rewards portal and 3x points on dining. You’ll earn 2x points on other travel purchases and one point per dollar on everything else.
It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 60,000 points after you spend $4,000 within three months. This bonus is worth $750 in travel through Chase. It also offers rental car insurance and several travel benefits. Plus, it boasts no foreign transaction fees. Travel benefits include trip cancellation or interruption insurance and baggage delay insurance.
However, if you want to fly Delta, keep in mind that Chase Ultimate Rewards points do not transfer to Delta SkyMiles directly. To book a flight on Delta, you would need to transfer to one of its partners, Flying Blue or Virgin Atlantic, and redeem through them.
Read the review | Learn how to apply
The Delta Gold SkyMiles Credit Card is an ideal travel credit card for people who like to fly Delta. Depending on how often you fly, it may be the best delta credit card available.
This card saves money on checked baggage fees, in-flight purchases, and international purchases. Plus, it earns 2x miles per dollar spent on Delta purchases, dining, and groceries. The welcome offer of 70,000 miles is earned after spending $2,000 on the card in the first six months you have it.
There is a $99 annual fee for this card. However, it’s waived the first year. Even after that, saving $30 on up to nine checked bags for you and your companions quickly justifies the annual fee. Plus, if you spend $10,000 or more each calendar year, you’ll receive a $100 Delta flight credit that you can use for a future flight.
While it may not fit every traveler, this card could earn a place in your wallet if you enjoy flying Delta Air Lines.
>> Delta SkyMiles Gold Card – Learn How to Apply
What is your favorite way to use the Delta SkyMiles Gold Card?
To see rates and fees for the American Express cards featured, use the following links: Delta Gold SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express: card_name.
1 Eligibility and Benefit level varies by Card. Terms, Conditions and Limitations Apply. Please visit americanexpress.com/benefitsguide for more details. Underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company. Car Rental Loss or Damage Coverage is offered through American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc.
Disclaimer: Comments, responses, and other user-generated content is not provided or commissioned by this site or our advertisers. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by this website or our advertisers. It is not the responsibility of our advertisers or this website to ensure that all comments and/or questions are answered. Club Thrifty has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Club Thrifty and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.