Travelers who fly on Delta can earn valuable miles while saving money with the Delta SkyMiles Gold Credit Card. You’ll earn 2x miles per dollar on Delta purchases, as well as at restaurants around the world and at U.S. supermarkets. Plus, there’s a 35,000-mile welcome offer available! Just use the card to make $1,000 in purchases during the first three months and you’re good to go.
Aside from earning Delta SkyMiles, this credit card also saves money on your trips. You’ll receive the first checked bag free for you and up to eight passengers on the same itinerary. Delta currently charges $30 per bag each way, which is a lot of money when you’re traveling with friends or family.
Delta SkyMiles Gold Credit Card Highlights
- Welcome Bonus: 35,000 miles for making $1,000 in purchases on the card in the first 3 months
- Earn Points on Spending: Receive 2x miles per dollar on purchases with Delta. You’ll now earn 2x miles per dollar at restaurants worldwide and U.S. supermarkets. Plus, earn one mile per dollar on all other purchases.
- Free Checked Bags: The first checked bag is free for you and eight passengers on the same itinerary. This saves up to $60 per person on round trip flights.
- $100 Delta Flight Credit: Each calendar year that you make $10,000 in purchases, you’ll receive a $100 Delta flight credit towards a future flight.
- Travel Benefits and Protections: You’ll receive a statement credit of 20% for in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets on Delta flights, main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights, and rental car collision damage waiver protection against theft or damage. On top of that, the card has no foreign transaction fees.
- Free 2-Day Shipping: Complimentary ShopRunner membership, which provides free two-day shipping on purchases at more than 100 participating online retailers.
- Annual Fee: Annual fee of $99, which is waived the first year.
Where It Shines
The Delta SkyMiles Gold Credit Card is the perfect credit card for travelers flying on Delta Air Lines. You’ll earn up to 2x miles per dollar on Delta purchases, receive the first checked bag for free, and save 20% on in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
Delta purchases include tickets booked with the airline, SkyClub day passes or memberships, Delta Vacations packages, seat upgrades, Delta fees, and in-flight purchases. Plus, spending at restaurants around the world and at U.S. supermarkets now earns 2x miles per dollar, as well.
The cardholder and up to eight passengers on the same itinerary receive the first checked bag for free. Normal checked bag fees are $30 per person each way, so this is a potential savings of up to $540 per round trip flight. If you travel with your partner or family, these savings add up quickly.
If you get hungry or thirsty during your Delta flight, use your Delta Gold Amex to receive a 20% statement credit for drinks, food, and audio headsets.
When you spend $10,000 in a calendar year, you’ll receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to use on a future flight. This benefit alone pays for the credit card’s annual fee.
Getting the Most from Your Delta Gold Amex
There are several ways to maximize the benefits of the Delta Gold Card.
First off, pay for flights or other items from Delta with this card. Also use it for groceries and when you’re eating out.
Make sure that you spend at least $1,000 on the credit card within the first three months to earn the 35,000 bonus miles. Search the Delta SkyMiles Flight Deals page for incredible award redemptions and sign up for the Delta newsletter to be among the first to learn about Fare Sales, Last-Minute Deals, and more.
By booking your Delta flights with the Delta Gold Amex card, you’ll receive the first checked bag for you and your travel companions. And, when you’re ready for a snack or drink during the flight, use your card to save 20% off your purchases.
What You Might Not Like
- Annual Fee: The annual fee is $99 per year. It is waived the first year.
- Limited Earning Potential: You’ll earn a maximum of two miles per dollar spent. Some travel credit cards earn up to 5x points per dollar when booking plane tickets. This means that you might be better off booking your Delta flights on another credit card.
- Inflexible Rewards: If you fly with Delta or its partners, the rewards are useful. But you cannot redeem Delta SkyMiles on non-partner airlines, so the card isn’t as good for travelers who prefer the flexibility of flying with different airlines.
- No Published Award Chart: Delta eliminated its published award chart in February 2015. While you may find some epic deals on flights, you don’t know how many miles are required to book a ticket. For example, I searched for a four-day trip from Nashville to Los Angeles in July 2020. Prices ranged from 15,000 to 52,500 in economy class, depending on the departure and return dates.
Alternatives to the Delta Gold Credit Card
The Delta SkyMiles Gold Credit Card has a lot to offer people who prefer to fly Delta Air Lines. However, if you want the flexibility to choose your airline or transfer rewards to an airline or hotel partner, this card doesn’t deliver.
Flexible redemption options are one of the key benefits of the Chase Sapphire Preferred. You can redeem Chase Ultimate Rewards in multiple ways: booking flights, hotels, rental cars, cruises, and attractions at 1.25 cents per point; transferring to hotel and airline partners at a 1:1 ratio; or redeeming rewards for gift cards at 1 cent per point. Additionally, points can be combined with other cards that earn Ultimate Rewards points for even larger redemptions.
The Chase Sapphire Preferred earns 2x points per dollar on travel and dining, 2x points on grocery store purchases on the first $1,000 spent each month (includes eligible pickup & delivery), plus one point per dollar on everything else. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 60,000 points after you spend $4,000 within three months. This bonus is worth $750 in travel through Chase. It also offers primary rental car insurance and several travel benefits. Plus, it boasts no foreign transaction fees. Travel benefits include trip cancellation or interruption insurance and baggage delay insurance.
However, if you want to fly Delta, keep in mind that Chase Ultimate Rewards points do not transfer to Delta SkyMiles directly. To book a flight on Delta, you would need to transfer to one of its partners, Flying Blue or Virgin Atlantic, and redeem through them.
The Delta Gold SkyMiles Credit Card is an ideal travel credit card for people who like to fly Delta. It saves money on checked bag fees, in-flight purchases, and international purchases. Plus, it earns 2x miles per dollar spent on Delta purchases, dining, and groceries. The welcome bonus of 35,000 miles is earned after spending $1,000 on the card in the first three months you have it.
There is a $99 annual fee for this card. However, it’s waived the first year, and even after that, saving $30 on up to nine checked bags for you and your companions quickly justifies the annual fee. Plus, if you spend $10,000 or more each calendar year, you’ll receive a $100 Delta flight credit that you can use for a future flight.
While it may not fit every traveler, this card could earn a place in your wallet if you enjoy flying Delta Air Lines.
What is your favorite way to use the Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card?