The following article has been sponsored by Coupons.com.
I have a confession to make. I’m a cheap bastard.
Seriously, I go shopping like once a year – gritting my teeth the entire time. I’m mean, I still wear T-shirts that are 20 years old. (Honestly, I didn’t even realize how old they were until I typed that. Sheesh…)
So yeah, I’m cheap… and I’m proud of it!
Even though we make more money than we used to, I still can’t shake the habit of trying to save wherever I can. As a matter of fact, I don’t want to shake it. Being frugal and spending consciously is one of the main reasons we’re enjoying the financial position we’re in now.
Anyway, the other day I was trolling some of the coupon sites, looking for ways to save on clothes I needed to buy for a conference. That’s when I stumbled onto something pretty amazing… well, pretty darn cool at the very least. Apparently, Coupons.com has a new program where they guarantee the best coupons available. If you find a valid coupon they don’t offer, they’ll pay you 25 bucks.
Hmm… I thought I’d better look into this.
Coupons.com Savings Guarantee
I’m a bit of a skeptic, so I poked around the site to see if I could learn more. Here’s what I found, straight from the Coupons.com website:
We’re committed to offering the best coupon codes available so you can shop and save with confidence… Here’s how our Savings Guarantee works: If you find a coupon code on another website that we don’t have on ours, tell us where it is. If it’s valid, we’ll put $25 in your PayPal account.
Pretty straightforward, right? Frankly, I think it’s a heck of a marketing gimmick… and it’s definitely one that I’m going to try and take advantage of.
How to Make a “Claim”
So, if you find a coupon code on another website that Coupons.com doesn’t have, all you have to do is submit it to them. If you’re right, they’ll pay you $25.
Making the “claim” is super simple. The hardest part is actually finding the “Savings Guarantee” page. Lucky for you, I’ve got that covered for you. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to https://www.coupons.com/coupon-codes/savings-guarantee/
- Click the “Submit Code” button
- Fill out the form
- Grab your cash and run for the hills
For you visual learners, here’s a couple of screenshots for ya:
Tips for Getting Your $25
Of course, there are a few exceptions. So, before you start banking on that money before you have it, here are a few tips for getting your coupon codes approved under the Coupons.com savings guarantee:
- Only Coupons from Certain Competitors Apply: If you look closely at the fine print, you’ll see that only coupons from certain competitors apply. Basically, you need to find the coupon on another coupon site that isn’t Coupons.com. Approved competitor coupons include those from DealCatcher, DealNews, Ebates, FatWallet, Goodsearch, Groupon, Offers.com, Dealsplus or RetailMeNot.
- Vanity Coupons Don’t Count – If Coupons.com has the same offer listed under a different code, you ain’t gettin’ that coupon approved. So, don’t waste your time trying to split hairs.
- Coupons Can’t Be Exclusive to Another Site – If a coupon is exclusive to another site, you won’t be approved for the $25.
- Coupons Must Be Valid Online – To make $25, you must cite coupons that are valid online.
- Coupons Must Not Expired – Because, duh…right?
- Grocery Coupons are Not Included – Grocery coupons are not eligible for the $25, which is kind of a bummer. I can totally see why they’re excluded though. Plus, I’m more excited about the department store coupons since Christmas is coming up. (I’ll show you how to save even more with those in a minute!!!)
- Coupons Embedded in a Link – If you receive an email with a coupon embedded in a link, that’s not gonna work either.
So, yeah, that eliminates quite a few coupons… but I still think it’s a pretty sweet deal. I can’t wait to catch a mistake on the site and pocket 25 bucks for myself!
Just to be clear, this isn’t a full list of all the rules, but these are good tips to get started. If you want to read all the terms and conditions, you can find them at the bottom of the Savings Guarantee page.
Saving Oodles with Stacking
One of my favorite ways to save on coupon sites is by stacking coupons with cash back credit cards. And, with Christmas coming up, now is a great time to get awesome deals.
From October through December 2016, the Discover it® Cashback Match™ Card offers 5% cash back on the first $1,500 in combined purchases at department stores, Sam’s Club, and Amazon.com. Better yet, if you’re new to the card, you’ll receive double the points at the end of your first year. Essentially, that could work out to 10% cash back on the promotional category, just for using your new Discover it® Cashback Match™ Card. Learn more here.
Even better, you can stack that cash back on top of your savings from Coupons.com. For example, let’s assume you make a purchase of $357.63 at Macy’s and use a 15% off coupon you found at the site. You pay using your Discover it® Cashback Match™ Card during the special 5% cash back promotion AND you’re still accumulating double cash back over your first year using the card. Here’s how that breaks down:
Macy’s Purchase: $357.63
15% Off from Coupons.com: – 53.65
5% Cashback from Discover: $15.20
Double Cashback from Discover: + $15.20
Total Cash Back: $30.40
Total Savings: $84.05 (23.5%)
Bang Biscuit! That’s some serious cash.
So, I’m totally thrilled to find the Coupons.com Savings Guarantee, and I hope you’re as pumped as I am. Even if I don’t find any mistakes, I’m still gonna save by stacking coupons with cash back when I do my Christmas shopping this year!
Seriously, I love trying to cash in on these things. It’s like a fun little game I play… and sometimes I win.
Have you heard of the Coupons.com Savings Guarantee? Do you use coupon sites to save? Let us know below!