Best COVID Travel Insurance Plans for January 2023
This article may contain references to some of our advertising partners. Should you click on these links, we may be compensated. For more about our advertising policies, read our full disclosure statement here.
Find the right travel insurance policy for your trip. Compare the top pandemic plans below.
Tips on Choosing Travel Insurance for COVID
Are you ready to travel again?
Remember, COVID can still derail your trip and potentially cost you thousands. That makes choosing the right travel insurance even more important than ever.
The best travel insurance policies for the pandemic provide coverage before and during your trip. Should you or a covered member of your party become ill prior to your trip, the top plans offer trip cancellation or interruption benefits. These benefits help you recover the cost of non-refundable items related to your covered trip.
Adding a “Cancel for Any Reason” option is also a good idea. With entry requirements and conditions on the ground changing rapidly, a CFAR policy allows you to cancel your trip for any reason and get reimbursed for large portion of your non-refundable and forfeited costs.
Important Benefits to Consider
Some of the most important benefits to look for in pandemic travel insurance plan include:
- Emergency Medical Coverage – This is coverage for emergency medical treatments such as visits to hospitals and emergency rooms. We suggest at least $50,000-$100,000 in coverage. Be sure that COVID is covered prior to making a purchase.
- Emergency Medical Evacuation – This helps cover costs for evacuating you to your home country or other location, if medically necessary.
- Trip Interruption – This type of coverage can help you recuperate losses if your trip is interrupted by illness, injury, weather, or other circumstances. Again, be sure COVID is a covered.
- Trip Cancellation – Like trip interruption coverage, trip cancellation coverage helps get you reimbursed for expenses when you are forced to cancel your trip for a covered reason.
To determine our rankings, we reviewed dozens of policies from nearly 20 travel insurance companies. We then scored them across 10 weighted categories with the highest possible score being 100. Those categories included:
- Emergency Medical Coverage for COVID (10 points)
- Emergency Medical Coverage Limits (Up to 10 Points)
- Emergency Medical Evacuation Coverage (5 Points)
- Primary or Secondary Coverage (5 points)
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption Coverage for COVID (Up to 20 Points)
- Cancel for Any Reason Option (20 points)
- Company Reputation and Stability (Up to 10 Points)
- Customer Experience (Up to 5 Points)
- Policy Pricing (Up to 10 Points)
- No Deductible Plan (5 Points)
You can find a full list of our rankings here.