This article may contain references to some of our advertising partners. Should you click on these links, we may be compensated. For more about our advertising policies, read our full disclosure statement here.
If you want to earn credit card rewards that you can save toward a free flight, you generally have to choose between earning airline miles and getting cash back. With the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card, you get the best of both worlds.
For years, the Capital One Venture Card has been considered one of the best credit cards for travel. It remains popular with travelers because it earns an unlimited 2x miles on every purchase, there are no bonus categories to memorize, and miles earned can be used to pay for travel expenses. Plus, Capital One now offers travel loyalty program partners, so you have more choices for how you can redeem your rewards.
You can also book your flights, hotels, rental cars, and more with no blackout dates using the Capital One Venture Card. The miles earned from all of your purchases post within days of your purchase, and you have 90 days from the date of the transaction to earn additional rewards to “erase” the travel purchase.
Capital One offers a welcome bonus of 75,000 bonus miles when you spend $4,000 within the first three months you have the card. That is equal to $750 in travel credit that can be redeemed for things like flights, hotels, excursions, and more.
Want to know more? In this review, we’ll explore why the Capital One Venture card is one of the best travel rewards credit cards to have in your wallet. Let’s get started!
Earn 75,000 Bonus Miles – With the Capital One Venture Rewards Card, you’ll earn a 75,000 mile welcome bonus after spending $4,000 in the first three months. That’s good for $750 in free travel. Learn How to Apply Here
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card Highlights
There is a lot of value packed into the Capital One Venture Card. Here are some of the reasons you should consider applying for it.
- 75,000 Mile Welcome Bonus – You’ll earn 75,000 miles after spending $4,000 within three months. These miles are valued at $750 when used as a statement credit toward travel purchases. Or, you can transfer them to an airline partner to book a flight.
- Earn 5x Miles with Partners – Earn 5x miles on spending with hotel and car rental partners when you book through Capital One Travel.
- Earn 2x Miles on Spending – Purchases with the Capital One Venture Rewards Card earn 2x miles, no matter how you’re spending your money. I like that you don’t have to remember bonus categories or register for quarterly promotions
- Transfer Miles to 15+ Travel Partners – Capital One took the Venture Card to another level with the addition of travel loyalty partners. Now cardholders have options when it comes to redeeming their miles – including Singapore Airlines, Air Canada Aeroplan, and Emirates.
- Global Entry or TSA Precheck Reimbursement – When charging your application fee for Global Entry or TSA Precheck to this credit card, you will be reimbursed once every four years. The Capital One Venture card is one of the few rewards credit cards that offer this benefit while having an annual fee of less than $100.
- Travel Protections – Capital One offers many protections and benefits while you travel. Simply book your flight, hotel, or rental car using your Venture Card to enjoy these benefits. For example, there are no foreign transaction fees, there’s an auto-rental collision damage waiver, and it comes with travel accident insurance.
- Low Annual Fee – This card does carry an annual fee of $95. That is fairly standard for a card with these benefits and is more than covered if you take advantage of what the card offers.
- Learn How to Apply
Capital One Venture Rewards Card: Where It Shines
If your goal is to travel for less, then the Capital One Venture Card is one of the are some of the best cards you’ll find.
The welcome bonus of 75,000 miles is a great way to kick off your vacation planning. Those miles are worth $750 in travel purchases — possibly more when transferring to an airline partner!
You’ll earn an unlimited 2x miles on all of your purchases. Earn and even better 5x miles when you book with hotel and car rental partners through the Capital One Travel portal. You can then use those miles to get reimbursed for travel purchases or transfer to airline partners. When you take advantage of bonus transfer opportunities, you’ll get even more value out of your rewards.
Plus, your trip through the airport is made easier because the card helps you get Global Entry or TSA Precheck for free. Both programs help you skip the long lines at security, and Global Entry makes going through customs on the way back from an international vacation a breeze. Simply use your card when you sign up, and you’ll receive a credit for your application fee.
When making purchases outside of the United States, you won’t be charged foreign transaction fees. Avoiding this 3 percent hidden fee on your transactions is a real money saver. Plus, complimentary travel protections like secondary rental car insurance, travel accident insurance, and 24-hour travel assistance services provide peace of mind.
Earn Unlimited 2x Miles on Purchases – Travel for less and earn an unlimited 2x miles on all purchases with the Capital One Venture Rewards Card! Learn how to apply here.
Tips for Getting the Most from Your Card
To get the most from your Capital One Venture Card benefits, you’ll want to use it for everyday purchases. Instead of settling for 1x points from your hotel and airline credit cards, earn 2x miles from the Venture Card. With the transfer ratios to airline partners, you’re earning up to 1.5 airline miles per dollar spent with this credit card.
Whenever you aren’t using airline miles or hotel points to book your travel accommodations, pay with the Venture Card. You can erase those purchases with the unlimited 2x miles you earned from them. Capital One gives you 90 days after the purchase to earn enough miles to erase the purchase. Miles post to your account within two to three days of your purchase, so you don’t have to wait for the statement to close the way you might for other rewards cards.
Capital One also offers limited-time transfer bonus promotions on a regular basis, so you can get extra miles when transferring to participating airlines. For example, let’s assume you transfer points to an airline partner for a 33 percent bonus. That means you’d get 1,000 loyalty points instead of 750 when transferring 1,000 Capital One Venture Miles to your selected airline partner’s loyalty program.
If you own a business, I recommend pairing the Venture Card with the Capital One Spark Miles for Business card. This is one of the best small business credit cards available, offering a welcome bonus of 50,000 miles when you spend $4,500 in the first three months. Even better, the miles can be combined with the Venture Card. You’ll also earn 2x miles on all of your purchases and the $95 annual fee is waived the first year. Learn how to apply here.
What You Might Not Like
For all of the card’s positives, there are a few things you might not like about it.
- Annual Fee: You will be charged $95 annually to keep the card, so you’ll need to spend $4,750 per year on this card just to break even on the annual fee. If you aren’t spending enough on the credit card, you may be better off with a cash back credit card that has no annual fee.
- Uncommon Transfer Partners: Competing credit cards like the Chase Sapphire Reserve® have more common airline transfer partners than Capital One does. There is a lot of value to be found with Capital One’s airline transfer partners, but cardholders who are just learning the ropes may find these international carriers’ loyalty programs more difficult to navigate than more common U.S. airlines when attempting to book free flights using miles.
- Unknown Approval Rules: Although we may not like rules like Chase 5/24, at least we know those rules exist and how to navigate them. Getting approved for a Capital One card can be challenging sometimes. I’ve had a solid work history and great credit for years, but was only recently approved for the Capital One Venture after multiple tries.
Alternatives to the Capital One Venture Card
If you want similar benefits to the Capital One Venture Card, there are other options. My pick is the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card.
Much like Capital One, Chase allows you to transfer your points to over a dozen travel loyalty programs at a 1:1 ratio. Even better, you’ll earn a 60,000 point signup bonus after spending $4,000 on the card in the first three months. That’s worth $750 in free travel when you use the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal to book.
Other Chase Sapphire Preferred benefits include earning 5x points on travel you purchase through the Ultimate Rewards platform, 3x points on dining expenses worldwide, no foreign transaction fees, and a host of other travel protections. There is a $95 annual fee, but if you’re looking for a great alternative to the Capital One Venture, this card is it.
Capital One Venture Card Review: Wrapping Up
I still use my Chase Sapphire Reserve benefits for dining, but when I’m paying everyday bills like doctor co-pays, day-care tuition, and oil changes, the Venture Card is my first choice.
The unlimited 2x points are better for everyday purchases than other airline and hotel co-branded credit cards. Plus, I love the flexibility of choosing between erasing travel purchases and transferring to airline partners.
To top it off, new cardholders get the chance to earn a $600 welcome bonus when they spend $4,000 in the first three months. What’s not to like?
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card Review
Earning on Spending
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card Review
If you’re looking for a travel credit card that offers a huge welcome bonus and flexible miles, look no further than the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card. You’ll earn 75,000 in the first three months. That’s good for $750 in free travel when taken as a statement credit.
Additionally, the card earns an unlimited 2x miles on all purchases. Plus, there’s no annual fee for the first year, so it doesn’t hurt to try it out.
If you’re in the market for a good travel credit card, the Capital One Venture Rewards Card definitely deserves your consideration. In fact, we think it is one of the best travel cards on the market. Learn how to apply here.