The following is a guest post by our blogging friend Gene M. If you are interested in guest posting, please see our guest posting guidelines.
It’s too bad I wasn’t born into it like a Lannister. The thought of inheriting family’s wealth had lingered in my mind ever since I was old enough to understand what inheritance meant.
“Oh well,” I thought. “There must be other ways to become rich fast.”
Let’s see, what else can I try here?
Quick Ways to Riches
- Inheritance – darn it, I blame my parents and their parents for not making me filthy rich.
- Win a lottery – with my luck I might as well throw that money away.
- Count cards in blackjack – forget it.
- Marry into it – I love my wife, but she’s no millionaire.
- Reach for the stars, design the next Facebook – who am I kidding here?
Is it possible that there is no quick way to riches?
But … wait… that’s it! Maybe I could get ran over by a truck and claim millions in punitive damages!
Seeing how people were winning millions from what must have been frivolous lawsuits, the thought lingered in my mind.
No, I wasn’t about to jump in front of a truck in hopes of surviving to win a miraculous trial and live rich for the rest of my life. But, the thought of others actually doing that made me wonder what it must feel like to make such decision.
It wasn’t until I began working at an actual law firm that I learned the harsh realities of so-called “lawsuit lottery.”
It’s Neither Quick or Easy
If you are “lucky” (should you consider yourself that) enough to win millions in the lawsuit lottery through an injury verdict, you can put a check mark next to every one of these items:
- Survived a terrible accident.
- … Make that barely survived a terrible accident.
- Suffered insurmountable amount of pain, the type that no human being should ever experience.
- Became disabled for the rest of your life by losing a limb, several limbs, became immobile through paralysis or worse.
- Lost all ability to enjoy the things you used to enjoy in life.
- Braved through a trial knowing that if your lawyer didn’t show just how gory your injuries are, you may get nothing. Zero.
- Possibly waited through years of appeals when defense claimed your award to be outrageous and challenged it to a higher court.
- Faced the possibility of that higher court reducing your award, increasing it or ordering a retrial.
- Tried living a normal life while not knowing whether the retrial would pay for your mounting medical bills, or leave you homeless.
“Gee!” – I thought. “I’d rather take my chances with stupid tax #5.”
Pity, Not Envy
Today, whenever I hear of people winning multi-million dollar lawsuit verdicts in injury cases, I don’t think “Those lucky bastards!”
I shake my head and wonder what kind of suffering they had to endure, and just how sad it must feel to have all that money and not be able to enjoy it, or enjoy life for that matter.
Save More, Spend Less, Start Living
If there are other ways to become rich fast – I’m all ears. For now, I’ll spare myself the pain and agony of being disabled in pursuit of riches. Instead, I’ll follow advice of people like Holly and Greg – save more, spend less, get out of debt and start living.
Would you really like to win the lawsuit lottery? Is it worth it?
Do you want to learn how to travel the world for FREE? Over the past 18 months, we’ve traveled to 9 different countries and all across the United States for pennies on the dollar…and we did it using points and miles. If you’d like us to help you plan the trip of your dreams using rewards points, check out our Free Rewards Advice page! To find the best deals, get started now!